Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 vs 1.3
To: John Valdes <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/16/1999 19:22:17
As far as I know:

1) HWDIRECT ADB - is the default, although MRG ADB is still available

2) Daystar cache - I don't think this has made the main tree

3) SLOTMAN - I _know_ this hasn't made the main tree, but never fear,
they're still available, updated for NetBSD/Mac68k 1.4.  Go to my web
site at http://www.whooppee.com/slotman/ for more info.

So, as Jack Nicholson says in "Mars Attacks!", "Two out of three ...
ain't bad!"   :)

On Sun, 16 May 1999, John Valdes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A few questions about the just released NetBSD 1.4.
>
> I've been running NetBSD 1.3 (not 1.3.3 or 1.3.1, just 1.3) on my IIcx
> for some time now, and it's been just great.  My IIcx has a DayStar
> 50MHz '030 accelerator, a KeyTronics extended keyboard, and a
> RasterOps 24S graphics card.  To get these to work under 1.3, I had to
> compile a custom kernel with 1) HWDIRECT ADB support (to eliminate
> hang at boot w/ my keyboard), 2) DAYSTAR cache aware kernel patch (so
> I could run my IIcx w/ the DayStar cache enabled), and 3) SLOTMAN
> patches (to properly initialize my RaterOps NuBus card--I am also
> using a pre-OSFA X server for 8-bit color X).  My kernel is also at
> that magical size so that rebooting works w/o having to press the
> reset button...  ;)
>
> How much of this is integrated with NetBSD 1.4?  For those patches
> which aren't, have they been available for 1.4?
>
> Things currently unsupported by 1.3 in my IIcx which I'd like to get
> working include an Applied Engineering 4-port serial card, and xmcd
> doesn't seem to work w/ my Apple CD-300 for some reason (data CDs work
> fine, but xmcd can only play the first few seconds of the first track
> of an audio CD--I'm using the NCR scsi driver, btw).
>
> John

> John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
> j-valdes@uchicago.edu                               University of Chicago

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |