Subject: NetBSD 1.4 vs 1.3
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/16/1999 20:43:34
Hello,

A few questions about the just released NetBSD 1.4.

I've been running NetBSD 1.3 (not 1.3.3 or 1.3.1, just 1.3) on my IIcx
for some time now, and it's been just great.  My IIcx has a DayStar
50MHz '030 accelerator, a KeyTronics extended keyboard, and a
RasterOps 24S graphics card.  To get these to work under 1.3, I had to
compile a custom kernel with 1) HWDIRECT ADB support (to eliminate
hang at boot w/ my keyboard), 2) DAYSTAR cache aware kernel patch (so
I could run my IIcx w/ the DayStar cache enabled), and 3) SLOTMAN
patches (to properly initialize my RaterOps NuBus card--I am also
using a pre-OSFA X server for 8-bit color X).  My kernel is also at
that magical size so that rebooting works w/o having to press the
reset button...  ;)

How much of this is integrated with NetBSD 1.4?  For those patches
which aren't, have they been available for 1.4?

Things currently unsupported by 1.3 in my IIcx which I'd like to get
working include an Applied Engineering 4-port serial card, and xmcd
doesn't seem to work w/ my Apple CD-300 for some reason (data CDs work
fine, but xmcd can only play the first few seconds of the first track
of an audio CD--I'm using the NCR scsi driver, btw).

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
j-valdes@uchicago.edu                               University of Chicago