Subject: Report on NetBSD/mac port of Postgres 6.4.2
To: tgl <lockhart@huey.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1999 15:25:13
Well I got the patch file from Tatsuo Ishii (thanks!!!) which includes the
NetBSD/m68k fixes by NAKAJIMA Mutsuki (double thanks!!!).  I applied it to
the postgres 6.4.2 distribution and it mostly worked.

Caviats:

1) It won't compile with kerberos 4 enabled.  Yes, I loaded the secr.tar.gz
distribution, but there are some serious problems with kerberos on my
machine so this may not be Postgres' fault.  (Yes I adjusted the various
names/paths for NetBSD differences.)

2) The following four regression tests fail:
geometry
datetime
horology
inet

Geometry appears superficially to be the usual roundoff problems.  Inet
looks superficially to me like the MacBSD output may be more correct, but I
don't know what's going on well enough to be sure.  Horology is likely to
fail due to some obscure dates which are tested, but I haven't verified if
that's the only problem in this case.

The datetime failure looks to be serious.  'now'::datetime -
'current'::datetime yields more than 200 days!

If anyone (Tom?) wants an account on a Quadra 840av to investigate the
problem further let me know.  The apparent speed of the beast is about half
of my SPARCstation 5 or around 1/4 of a beefed up Ultra 5 so it's fast
enough not to kill you.  Anyone who can get real work done on an SE/30
(NAKAJIMA Mutsuki) has my respect for their patience.