Subject: Re: media errors and packages
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1999 16:48:31
>> 2) How does one fool the packages system into thinking something is
>> installed? The 'make install' failed after running into the disk issues and
>> 'make deinstall' won't happen because the install never registered d:(
>
>Why do you want to fool it into thinking it installed?

There used to be a problem...I dunno if it was alpha-only or not...but it
would cause pkg_add to dump core when it tried to register some packages.
Everything except the registration was complete, & if you went into the
/var/db/pkg/* of the package that you tried to install, it would only have
1 of the + items, & the length would be 0. So, you couldn't install again,
because it found the package, butyou couldn't DEinstall because it couldn't
find the info it needed to deinstall (I forget the actual message). You
were caught in limbo. If you did a pkg_info, the lines would be messed,
because the +COMMENT wasn't in there. I found that deleting the
/var/db/pkg/whateverpkg directory would let you go it again (or was it that
it'd delete it but just give you a bunch of messages about keys not
present...I forget). But basically, there are times when you want to get it
to think that it's installed when it's not or vice versa.

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.