Subject: Re: media errors and packages
To: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
From: John Fulmer <jfulmer@appin.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1999 15:00:10
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Dave Schmitt wrote:

> > > 1) Does fsck check for media errors (i.e. physical problems w/ the disk)? I
> > > was getting some odd messages during make install and when I looked at the
> > > console the screen was full of messages about "medium errors" on sd0. If it
> > > doesn't (I didn't see anything on the man page), what can I use to check the
> > > integrity of the disk?

It would help a little if you would post the errors. Here's what I
know.

Under BSD (and most of what I know is actually BSDI), SCSI 'medium' errors
can be either the disk, the SCSI cable, or the controller.

If it's the disk, it means that you have run out of remappable sectors,
and it can't remap no more. A low level format MIGHT take care of it. If
it's an older drive, the power outage may have let your drive heads scrape
the platters, but I would have to be at least 5-7 years old for that.
Again, a low level format would take care of that. Of course, it would
erase the disk as well.

If it's the cable, it's an easy fix. I wouldn't bet on it though.

If it's the controller, you may be SOL. The last time I ran into this, it
was the controller.

> That's what I was afraid of. We had a major power outage or 2 last
> weekend... I found something called "badsect" which might help me in /sbin,
> but I'm leery to use it until I understand better just what's going on.

I haven't used badsect, myself, but it should mark bad sectors unusable.
Use with caution, backup, and read the man page several times...

Good luck.

jf