Subject: Re: media errors and packages
To: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1999 12:51:21
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Dave Schmitt wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 May 1999, Dave Schmitt wrote:
> >

> That's what I was afraid of. We had a major power outage or 2 last
> weekend... I found something called "badsect" which might help me in /sbin,
> but I'm leery to use it until I understand better just what's going on.

If you're really getting a lot, get a new disk. Drives tend to go down
hill fast once they start.

> > Why do you want to fool it into thinking it installed?
>
> It was partially only installed. i.e., a lot of the executables made it but
> alot of the support files didn't. Rather than having a partially functional
> install, I'd like to remove what's there to start over later. Unfortunately,
> make deinstall won't do that. Of course, if the drive is going bubye, I've
> got worse problems than a broken emacs...

I'd say install again. I _think_ the install should just overwrite the
files already there. If so, you're set.

Though I think you're right that with a dying drive, you've got worse
problems than a broken emacs. :-)

Take care,

Bill