Subject: Re: media errors and packages
To: <>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1999 15:44:19
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Dave Schmitt wrote:
>
> > I tried to install emacs from the pkgsrc today and bad stuff happened; got a
> > couple of questions for everyone. Running 1.3.3 on a Mac IIci.
> >
> > 1) Does fsck check for media errors (i.e. physical problems w/ the disk)? I
> > was getting some odd messages during make install and when I looked at the
> > console the screen was full of messages about "medium errors" on sd0. If it
> > doesn't (I didn't see anything on the man page), what can I use to check the
> > integrity of the disk?
>
> I'm not sure what tools will do it, but it sounds like your disk is dying.

That's what I was afraid of. We had a major power outage or 2 last
weekend... I found something called "badsect" which might help me in /sbin,
but I'm leery to use it until I understand better just what's going on.

> > 2) How does one fool the packages system into thinking something is
> > installed? The 'make install' failed after running into the disk issues and
> > 'make deinstall' won't happen because the install never registered d:(
>
> Why do you want to fool it into thinking it installed?

It was partially only installed. i.e., a lot of the executables made it but
alot of the support files didn't. Rather than having a partially functional
install, I'd like to remove what's there to start over later. Unfortunately,
make deinstall won't do that. Of course, if the drive is going bubye, I've
got worse problems than a broken emacs...

--
Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>