Subject: Re: 1.3.3 Panic on an 840av --Solved (sorta)
To: Michael A. Stevens <misteven@mtu.edu>
From: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/12/1999 18:06:00
Hi Michael,

>I have an 840av as well, and this happens to me occasionally.  What I
>usually do is zap the PRAM, and the problem goes away.
>Hope this helps

Thanks, it did.  The system came up fine.

I have no idea why the half dozen times I zapped it a day or so ago
while clearing settings for the MacOS (8.1) didn't make any difference
to it, but NetBSD seemed to need it zapped again.

As a sidebar:

For some reason the PRAM won't completely zap.  This is a new
phenomena. Some settings go back to original --map and appearance, but
some don't --like the desktop pattern, clock etc.

It won't even let me "zap" the PRAM three times in succession.  Even
starting from a cold boot, or when using TechTool, the machine will
come up, reset itself twice, and --even though I'm continuing to hold
the "zap" key combo-- proceed on with the boot process.

I've never seen it do this before.  Has anyone else seen this?  Does
anyone have an idea as to the cause?  Could it be the battery getting
low?

Thanks

----
greg walsh ::  Artec Communications