Subject: Re: cp /dev/tty0 /dev/modem, kppp
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1999 11:35:29
At 7:05 AM -0700 5/2/99, Guy Santiglia wrote:
>  I was trying to set up kppp in the kde package.  In kppp they give you
>a choice of device names, like /dev/modem and such but they don't give me
>tty00, which I need for my quadra610.  I tried a symbolic link:
>ln -s /dev/tty00 /dev/modem

man mknod

Those are device files, not real ones.  You can do a ls -l on /dev/tty0 to
find the major/minor device numbers and whether it's a character or block
type device.  Then you use mknod to create a new special file to point at
the same device driver inside the kernel.

# cd /dev
# ls -l tty00
0 crw-------  1  uucp  wheel   12, 0 Mar 19  1998 tty00
# mknod modem c 12 0
# ls -l modem
0 crw-------  1  uucp  wheel   12, 0 May 3  1998  modem

Above info copied by hand.  Don't trust it.  It could be different for your
revision of MacBSD anyway.  Good luck.

Also don't forget to update your nonstandard device files when you upgrade
to a new version.  That's why this is maybe not a great idea.  It's just
easy.