Subject: Re: When things go really bad...
To: None <jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1999 10:28:49
> Background: I am integrating the slotman(ager) code with some parts that I
> have written myself.  The slotman(ager) code is where the error is
> occuring.  During boot, while attempting to initialize the card, the
> system consistently panics with a UVM fault.

The ROM codes on Mac cards are really nasty. I would say that you hit
the memory somewhere which was not properly mapped for UNIX use (Of
course, Mac accesses all the memory directly).

> uvm_fault(0x15ad6c,0xc4000000,0,0x3)->0x1
> type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]:401070d
> trap type 8, code=0x401070d, v=0xc4000008
> kernel program counter = 0x101f86c
> Kernel: MMU fault trap

I would say that the memory region 0xC4000000 has to be mapped in for
the code on your card to work. I do not remember all the details of
Nubus mappings, so I have little idea what is supposed to be there. If
you really want to understand what your card does, you have to
disassemble the code (for example, in MacsBug on MacOS side or ddb on
NetBSD side). You may also check what resources are defined in the
card's ROM. Slotman code has the routines and definitions to access
the data on the card, you can print the ROM data structures before
calling Init() from the card.

	Taras Ivanenko.