Subject: Re: weird se/30 behavior
To: Takashi Hamada <beach@mx6.nisiq.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/1999 22:21:57
On Sun, 2 May 1999, Takashi Hamada wrote:

> Colin Wood wrote:
> > recently, my SE/30 has decided to start doing something a little strange
> > at boot.  when i first turn it on, it will come up with a bizarre
> > checkered pattern (more grey than black&white), and it won't chime at all.
> > i can hit the reboot button or power cycle the machine, but to no effect.
> > however, if i let it sit powered-up for about 3-5 minutes, it will
> > eventually chime and begin the boot process.
>
> I once heard that this behavior is caused by poor contact of the ROM SIMM
> socket. Please try cleaning the ROM SIMM socket and re-inserting the ROM
> SIMM to it. Mine revived by this way. Hope this helps.

Also, and this is a bit of a stretch, but you might check the PRAM
battery.  Machines tend to sit there for a while doing a much more
thorough than usual test of RAM and stuff if the PRAM battery is down, or
at least some systems do weird things like that... though I thought they
chimed before that.  Dunno.  Anyway, just a thought.  :-)

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624