Subject: Re: which kernel for Quadra 605
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/1999 11:14:55
Brian wrote:
> / Hi, I'm trying out NetBSD for the first time on a Quadra 605 (still with
> / a 680LC40, I plan to get a 68040 if it looks like NetBSD will work).
> / With GENERIC-107 it hangs just after printing 'adb0 at obio0'. With
> / MRG-107 it gets to 'intvid0 at obio0' and then starts writing random
> / bits to the bottom part of the screen.  I was wondering if there's some
> / other kernel I should try instead?

Steve Answered:
> As far as the message you're getting, there's a dialog box in the booter
> under Options: Booting, with a line "Video address hack for LC 475 &
> LC575".  Do you have this checked? (It should be).

	Actually, if it is outputting video past the MMU remapping
(which is very early on in the boot sequence), then that kernel does
not need to have the video address hack checked.

	It is only old kernels (that don't know the un-mapped video
address) that need this option checked.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality  is  that  which  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  |  doesn't go away when you  |