Subject: which kernel for Quadra 605
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/1999 08:59:32
/ Hi, I'm trying out NetBSD for the first time on a Quadra 605 (still with
/ a 680LC40, I plan to get a 68040 if it looks like NetBSD will work).
/ With GENERIC-107 it hangs just after printing 'adb0 at obio0'. With
/ MRG-107 it gets to 'intvid0 at obio0' and then starts writing random
/ bits to the bottom part of the screen.  I was wondering if there's some
/ other kernel I should try instead?

Brian,

Welcome.  I'll vouch for NetBSD running on a quadra 605 with a full
68040 (68RC040 is the actual model number) -- it's been doing well for
me for the last year and a half or so.  I have NetBSD 1.3.2 and I'm
using a GENERIC-SBC kernel.  "SBC" referes to the SCSI driver it uses --
it seems to like my quantum fireball a little better.

As far as the message you're getting, there's a dialog box in the booter
under Options: Booting, with a line "Video address hack for LC 475 &
LC575".  Do you have this checked? (It should be).

Good luck.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu