Subject: Re: Solved!!! (Re:Can't install dhcp-2.0b1pl26)
To: Naoki Kobayashi <ntsu9121@dd.catv.ne.jp>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/25/1999 21:30:54
> IP is 172.16.27.104 on NetBSD/mac68k
> How many times boot NetBSD/mac68k ,I get this adress.
>  but when I boot MacOS in same machine (and same NIC)
> IP is 172.16.30.152. and how many times I boot MacOS,I get this adress.

What's probably happening is that the MacOS client is sending a client
identifier, which the isc client doesn't do by default.   If you want
to get the same IP address for both clients, you can try configuring
the ISC dhcp client to send the same client identifier.   The way to
do this is to figure out your ethernet address (the DHCP client prints
it on startup if you invoke it from the command line).   It'll look
something like this:

grosse# dhclient
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0-alpha-990412
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

Corrupt lease file - possible data loss!
Listening on BPF/ep0/00:10:4b:ec:93:61
Sending on   BPF/ep0/00:10:4b:ec:93:61
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net

The ethernet address for this machine is therefore 00:10:4b:ec:93:61.
To configure the client to send a client identifier like the one
OpenTransport sends, you would add the following line to your
/etc/dhclient.conf file:

send dhcp-client-identifier 1:00:10:4b:ec:93:61;

Chances are you'll get the same address in OT that you get in NetBSD
after you make this change.

			       _MelloN_