Subject: Re: Serial Clock
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1999 16:41:56
Bill,

isn't AppleTalk since the very first beginning at 230.400 bps? I think
even a MacPlus ser port supported that speed. OTOH, as far as I know
the ser port speed went down, if running at the same time networking
and ser port connecting activities.

There are some programs (like ProTERM, FreePPP), allowing you to set
the port speed higher than 57.6 and it seems to work - sometimes.

May I ask a somewhat related, but not NetBSD question (since you're a
serial connection guru here :)) ): Would it be better to use a
IIfx/Quadra 900/950 with the built in serial I/O controller on or off.
In case of OFF FreePPP allows 230.400 bps (in case of ON only 57.600
are accepted, possibly because the controller tells FreePPP so).
Practically, with a LASAT 56K V90 modem attached, performance - to me,
but it's only an impression - seemed better with the Serial Switcher
set to ON and consequently port speed set to only 57.600.

Thanks in advance & kind regards,

Ulrich Hausmann