Subject: Re: partition problem
To: Carmelo Manganaro <carmelo@manganaro.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1999 16:25:09
>When I run the Installer, I can see on the windows all the three partions I
>need for the installation:

You see them in the popup, but you choose only ONE to be mounted.

>Now when I try to mount the /usr in the Mini Shell with the command:
>mount /dev/sd1g /usr
>
>I receive the following message:
>
>/usr : No such file or directory

Correct...you haven't created a /usr directory yet.

>At this point I can install the system, but everything will be installed
>under the / directory and so a /usr directory will be created.

OK...here's your problem...I'll explain after next paragraph:

>After the installation, I can succesfull mount the /usr in the Mini Shell
>for some reason, I can even use the command 'fstab force' to create the
>right entry in the fstab file for /usr to recreate the fstab file.
>
>Everything look ok, but during the startup the system will look for
>something on /usr partition and it will go on a loop... (/usr is empty,
>because the previous installation used the subdirectory usr under /)

OK...here's what happened. You only had 1 partition mounted when you did
the install. That was the root partition. So...under / you had a /usr
directory (NOT a partition or mount point yet). All of the files for /usr
got put into a /usr directory on the ROOT partition.

THEN you mounted the other partition (which NEVER had anything put onto it,
because it wasn't mounted when you did the install). Now, you told (in
fstab) the system to make that new partition /usr. So, it makes /usr
ITSELF, and that hides the /usr that's part of the root partition.

You needed to do what Frederick B. mentioned...when you do a
multi-partition installation, you need to create the mount point (in your
case, that would be a directory called /usr). Then you need to do the
mounting of the partition. THEN, and ONLY then can you proceed with the
install.

So..to recap...

go into installer's minishell.

mv usr oldusr
mkdir usr
mount /dev/sd1g /usr
mv oldusr/* usr/

After all of that, you should have everything when you boot properly...but
I don't remember offhand what the consequences are for using a full
directory as a mount point...there's a possibility that your root
partition's usr directory's contents have been deleted. (that's the main
reason for the desire for a stable union filesystem)

I hope this explained a bit what was going on
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.