Subject: partition problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Carmelo Manganaro <carmelo@manganaro.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1999 14:34:29
Hi, I have some problem with partitions on my HD.
I have a Mac IIci 8MB RAM and I would like to install netBSD on an external
Quantum 1GB HD.
The drive has 11 partitions on it and the latest 3 are supposed to be
dedicate to install the new system.
I created a 20MB swap partition, a 130MB root partition and a 300MB usr one.
The problem is than when I try to use the Installer, it can't recognize the
usr partition in a strange way...

When I run the Installer, I can see on the windows all the three partions I
need for the installation:

sd0 at scsi ID 0.
sd1 at scsi ID 4.
Partition read, SCSIID = 4
Mounting partition 'A' as /
sd0a: Other (FWB DRIVER COMPONENTS) 'FWB Driver Components' at 101 size 1024
sd0b: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 1245 size 478104
sd0d: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 479349 size 1
sd1a: Root 'Root file system' at 1274099 size 260008
sd1g: Usr 'Usr file system' at 1534107 size 600198
sd1b: Swap 'Swap' at 1234097 size 40002
sd1d: Other (APPLE_PATCHES) 'Patch Partition' at 192 size 512
sd1e: HFS_PART 'untitled' at 704 size 1065561
sd1f: Other (FWB DRIVER COMPONENTS) 'FWB Driver Components' at 1066265 size
1024
sd1h: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 1067409 size 166688

Now when I try to mount the /usr in the Mini Shell with the command:
mount /dev/sd1g /usr

I receive the following message:

/usr : No such file or directory

At this point I can install the system, but everything will be installed
under the / directory and so a /usr directory will be created.

After the installation, I can succesfull mount the /usr in the Mini Shell
for some reason, I can even use the command 'fstab force' to create the
right entry in the fstab file for /usr to recreate the fstab file.

Everything look ok, but during the startup the system will look for
something on /usr partition and it will go on a loop... (/usr is empty,
because the previous installation used the subdirectory usr under /)

I can see the following message filling my screen:

can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttye0 : No such file or
directory.

If I remove the line reguarding the /usr partition from the fstab file I
can startup the system fine.

So the question is: why I am able to mount the /usr partition by hand and
I'm not able to let the Installer see the partion for a proper installation?

I tried to create a unique /root&usr partition to install the system, but
during the installation I receive the 'SCSIRead(), #5' error because the HD
is a Quantum (lucky me..) and there is a known problem with these drives if
the partition is too big. The solution at this problem is to create more
than one partion => back to square one!

Sorry for the lenght of the message.

Regards

Carmelo

                                 )|(
                                (o o)
-----------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo----
               Carmelo Manganaro
               126 Garfield Road
           Wimbledon London SW19 8SB
                United Kingdom
           Tel./Fax:   0181-540 1052
              Pager:  07654-573 826
  Home Page: www.manganaro.freeserve.co.uk

Do you know that there is a London Macintosh
User Group in London? Point your Browser at:
             www.lmug.org.uk