Subject: Re: GENERIC-104 on PB not finding serial ports
To: Douglas R. Troeger <dtroeger@ix.netcom.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1999 05:37:08
On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Douglas R. Troeger wrote:

> I am having trouble accessing a Hayes external modem
> connected to my PB 145 B, running the 19990322
> Generic-104 kernel.  The modem speed is 14.4.
>
> My chat script (from Mark Andres' FAQ) hangs at
> ATZ -- the OK response is never sent (I am
> looking at tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty00 19200 connect
>  '/usr/sbin/chat -v  "" ATZ OK ATDT###-####

Maybe your cable doesn't transmit the CTS signal. Many older Mac modems
were sold with such a so-called "Macintosh Software Handshaking" cable.
Try adding `nocrtscts' to the commandline to see if that gets you any
farther. If so, you'll probably want to enable software handshaking, at
least. For serious use, you'll want to get the "Macintosh Hardware
Handshake" cable, and use `cdtrcts', and also AT&D0.