Subject: Re: mounting macbsd nfs share on OS X Server
To: Avram Dorfman <dorfman@est.org>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1999 13:07:40
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Has anybody tried this? I can't get it to work, but I think it's just a
> permissions problem.
>
> The mount operation appears to succeed on OS X Srver, and the mount command
> lists my macbsd shares as mounted. The catch is that when I try to do *any*
> operation on the mount points, I get "cmd: /mount/point: Permission denied"
> like so:
>
>    root# ls /usr/paige
>    ls: /usr/paige: Permission denied
>    root# umount /usr/paige/u1
>    umount: /usr/paige: Permission denied
>
> Even wierder, when I do "ls /usr" the mount point shows up like everything
> else, but when I do

This comment indicates that /usr/paige/u1 isn't the mount point. :-) Thus
umount shouldn't work. :-)

> "ls -l /usr" it lists everything else, but when it gets to the mount point,
> it just says "Permission denied".

You can't stat the "paige" directory.

> Anybody have any idea what's going on here? Pretty amusing that I can't
> umount it b/c despite the fact that I'm root, I don't have permission...

You need to export with -noresvport. The MacOS X mount is using
non-privileged ports for the accesses, which our nfs server refuses by
default.

man exports mentions this flag. :-)

Take care,

Bill