Subject: re: applications survey
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1999 12:52:33
Ken Nakata wrote (in response to Guy's survey):

> > 1.  Word processor?

Emacs.  Yes I know it's really a "text editor", but I've come to adore
it over the past few months.  In fact, whenever I need to make "pretty
looking hard copy" I tend to do all the writing with emacs -- then use
an old version of MS word (5.1) to do the formatting.

> > 2.  Spread sheet?
> > 3.  Money management/accounting?

Quicken for NetBSD?  :-)  I have to admit, I understand where Guy is
leading here.   If I could find something to fill this void, I'd spend a
lot less time in MacOS.

Someone once suggested a database program called "grok" -- I found the
source under the name "xmbasegrok", but unfortunately it didn't want to
compile for me.  Did I miss it in the packages collection?

> > 4.  Browser?
>
> Lynx on all platforms.  Netscape if available (i.e. on i386) and
> necessary.

Lynx here as well. Even when using my mac as a mac, I've still preferred
to use lynx.  However, for those Browsing on the mac OS side, There's
another text-only browser called WannaBe that's well worth checking out.

> Note that, to many people, PC UN*X systems are still hacker's
> intellectual toys (oh boy, am I going to be flamed to crisp for saying
> this ;-).  They can be put to many very productive uses but they don't
> necessarily include those tasks commonly encountered in an ordinary
> office computing environment.

Nope Ken, we're all nerds here and we still love ya!

Unix is remarkably well suited to doing certain things -- software
development for example.  RCS is a real joy -- even if you're only
writing articles -- it's nice to have the ability to ge back to
"revision x.x" conveniently.

Bulk manipulation of text is another application where unix excels.

<Shamless_plug_mode>  Earlier this year, I did two "custom" versions of
the Java API documantation to make them mac-friendly -- truncating all
the filenames to 31-chars or less, and repointing the internal links.
50+ megs of http documents and a gazillion search and replace
operations.  Done with NetBSD and a few sh scripts.
</Shameless_plug_mode>

Speaking of which, typesetting under Unix is an area where I'd like to
do more.  Once upon a time there was a "getting started" thread relating
to this subject.  Anyone have suggestions for finding out more?

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu