Subject: Re: delete/backspace
To: None <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/11/1999 14:28:52
On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:23:21 +0900 (KST), Guy Santiglia wrote:

> On some of the packages that I have installed.
> The delete key doesn't work right.  It does not
> delet the characters to the left of the cursor.
> Rather it deletes the characters to the right
> of the cursor.
>
> Is any on having the same problems?  And if so how are you
> correcting it?

Depends on the particular software.

For instance, it's a well-known fact that GNU Emacs binds keymap
help-map to control-H (aka BackSpace) and backwards-delete-char (or
backwards-or-forwards-delete-char in some of newer versions) to DEL.
This bothers many people (including me), so those of us who can't
stand the default remap the keys by one way or another.  One of the
most common among them is to add the following line to our .emacs
files:

(load "term/bobcat")

This effectively swaps the two keys so you can delete a char backwards
by typing BackSpace or control-H while keeping a way to invoke the
help features by typing DEL.

But this works only for GNU Emacs and its cousins.  You have to learn
how to customize each package to your likings.  There is no universal
way to teach all your packages to obey your preferences,
unfortunately. *sigh*

Ken