Subject: Re: ssh via pkgsrc, Where to define USE_RSAREF????
To: Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1999 13:30:25
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Greg Evans wrote:
> So by adding in the RSAREF stuff does that provide for bett encryption or
> ??? I don't really even understand exactly what RSAREF does/is...sorry
> for sounding ignorant here, but in this case I truly am

>From what I understand (and I could be wrong :), there's no difference
in the strength of the encryption. RSAREF is legal to use in the US, but
can't be exported. The non-RSAREF code was developed outside the US and
can be used anywhere except the US, due to patents.

So basically, if you're in the US and want to be legal, you must use
RSAREF. If you think patenting math is silly and don't care about the
legalities, and can't get RSAREF even if you wanted to use it, well...
:)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++