Subject: Re: NAT not passing all characters?
To: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/06/1999 21:06:30
On 6 Apr 1999, Bruce Anderson wrote:

> Mybe?
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 9:20 PM, Roger Fischer <mailto:roger@badger1.net>
> wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Mail from 'Dave Huang' hangs my Mail system.

[message describing behavior of a defective modem]

If that were the problem, then bypassing the NetBSD box shouldn't be a
problem.

Just for everyone else, the problem with the modem was that messages
containing three "+"'s in a row, +++, would bust some modems. These modems
were interpreting them as a command string embedded in a data session,
when the spec says that (one second pause) +++ (one second pause)
indicates a command string.

The problem with this analysis here is that I thought that when folks get
a hang w/ NAT and switch to a direct ISP connection, the same data is
going past the same modem. So I don't think it's a modem-data contents
problem.

Though I have no idea what it is. tech-net sounds like a good place to
ask. :-)

Take care,

Bill