Subject: Re: More performa 575 fun...
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/06/1999 02:08:13
User Michael R. Zucca says:
> At 7:45 PM -0400 4/5/99, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
>
> >	Yes, and that is what the LC475/575 hack in the Booter is for.
>
> I'd forgotten about that booter hack. Perhaps the offset in the video
> controller is getting added to
> the "hack" base address instead of the actual offset.
>
> >	The video base address on these machines is MMU mapped under
> >MacOS (i.e. the one that the Booter normally gets is not the actual
> >hardware base address). If the particular kernel that is being booted
> >doesn't have the un-mapped base address compiled in to its tables,
> >then the hack needs to be set.

That sounds possible. I just did some testing...

1) The color depth doesn't matter, 8 or 16 bits the text screen fouls up
   either way
2) Checking or Unchecking the video hack box results in a physical
   address of F9000000 from 51900080 for the hack and an
   address of F9000080 from 51900080 without the hack
3) the dmesg says intvid0 at obio0 F9001000 DAFB video subsystem monitor sense 0

Everything looks ok up to and including that line (3) above, and afterwards
the video start of each line is shifted to approx the middle of the screen.

Do these addresses give any hints of the problem?

Bob
--
Robert E. Brose II    N0QBJ
http://www.jriver.com/~bob/