Subject: Re: networking and Apache (long)
To: Brent H Mundy <bmundy@indiana.edu>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1999 10:11:15
At 12:39 AM -0500 4/1/99, Brent H Mundy wrote:
>Sorry for the long post, but many of these things are linked to one
>another.
>
>I have installed NetBSD on a IIsi.  I also have Apache installed on this
>machine.  I have the IIsi networked with an ethernet card (crossover
>cable) to my PPC 7200/90 (running LinuxPPC).  I am able to 'ping' and
>'telnet' between each of the machines.  I am unable to get a browser on
>the Linux box to see my IIsi.  I get a 'connection refused by server'
>error.
>
>This is an email from the University's unix help desk.  This is how I
>networked the two machines together:
>First you need to edit your /etc/hosts.  (This is necessary in both
>NetBSD and Linux.)  Make it look like this:
>
>127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.localdomain
>192.26.1.1              penguin.brent.net penguin
>192.26.1.2              daemon.brent.net daemon
>
>This file identifies your machines to each other.  For this example,
>I've chosen to call the Linux machine "penguin" and the BSD machine
>"daemon", and to place them in the domain brent.net.  The IP numbers,
>hostname, and domain name are aribitrary.  These machines will never be
>seen by the outside world, so there's no danger of interfering with other
>people's names or IPs.  It's nonetheless traditional to use IPs beginning
>with 192, since those are reserved.  That way if you connect yourself
>to the network later and forget to change your IPs, you shouldn't
>mess anything up.

I may be all wet on this, and if so ignore me, but I thought the address had
to start with 192.168  for this range of internals?

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614