Subject: More networking strangeness
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Pannell <jpannell@pcsedu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1999 20:53:05
I was having the network problems described in other letters on this
topic:

configuring network interfaces: sn0ifconfig: banff: bad value.
writing to routing socket: network is unreachable

I made the changes suggested by Chris Brown to my etc/ifconfig.sn0 file,
and am happy to report that my startup message seems much happier:

hostname: banff
configuring network interfaces: sn0
add net default: gateway 192.168.0.1

So I thought things were about to start clicking... however, when I
attempt to ping anything, I get the following error message:

banff# Mar 30 19:36:10 banff /netbsd: sn0: Tx - lost interrupt

ifconfig sn0 gives the following output:

sn0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500

which seems like it should be OK to me, but I'm a newbie.

I'm trying to make a tiny network in my house with a Mac running
IPNetRouter and this NetBSD Centris 650.  The Mac/IPNetRouter box is
doing IP Masquerading and has an ethernet interface of 192.168.0.1 and a
dynamically allocated PPP IP address through a serial port modem.  The
two machines are connected by a crossover cable (could this be my
problem?).  I'm puzzled that the ifconfig and route commands at startup
seem to go off without a hitch, but I cannot ping anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

John Pannell