Subject: Re: NIC memory corrupt
To: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1999 09:48:28
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > Actually, the Mac's start-up code initializes every_ NuBus device that
> > it can find - at least as far as the device's "Primary Init" routine.
> >
> > And, IIRC, the _real_ problem here isn't whether or not the MacOS has
> > initialized that card, but whether ther's on-going network activity
> > during the time that NetBSD is trying to initialize it.  If you unplug
> > the card from the network, the error message should disappear.
>
> I can try that. Unfortunately, now I gotta diagnose a persistent kernel
> trap. I think the memory I installed today (although recognized by both
> NetBSD and MacOS) isn't fully compatible.

My suggestion is that if you ONLY see this message at most once during
start up,

DON'T WORRY!

:-)

Let me say that again:

Seeing a "NIC memory corrupt" message ONCE during startup is OK!

The message is saying that what is in the memory is corrupt. That happened
because a packet was being received when we started the NetBSD boot
process.

If you get that message AFTER netbsd has booted, then there's a problem.

Take care,

Bill