Subject: Re: Panic!Need Xtra /usr partition>db
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1999 12:46:56
Colin Wood wrote:
>hmmmm....i wish there were more than that.  you're probably seeing
>something similar to what other people are seeing, tho.

I know what you mean by "more" (seen it) , but the db messages differs
depending on how i try to mount the Xtra partition:
-from the installer application i get the message i've sended you
-if i try to mount from within BSD (e.g. mount /dev/sd1g /newusr) it just
hangs and i have to force a restart
-adding the proper line in /etc/fstab (like /dev/sd1g /newusr ffs rw 1 2)
gives me a bigger db message (probably the one you would like to see)
If i could only figure out how to log these messages and save the output
(so i can read it after in MacOS), it would save me a lot of writing and  i
would be able to send you the complete log/db messages (i do not have a
printer connected).

>> 2)Then i reboot and recreate the fstab without newusr mounted (so the link
>> is gone) and "e'thing boots like "normal".
>>
>> Well, not totally...something else is (very ?) odd:
>> after logged in as su i do fsck -p
>> and i get :UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY RUN FSCK_FFS MANUALLY
>> I do fsck -fy and i get: dev/rsd0a (NO WRITE ACCESS)
>> I do shutdown now and login again as su root
>> Then i am able to do the fsck tasks normally without any errormessages.
>> Strange??
>
>the above sounds like root was mounted read-only or something,
> although i've got to admit i don't think i've seen the "(NO WRITE ACCESS)"
>thing before.  i wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens a lot,
>tho.

It happens every time.Any idea what could be the cause of this and how to
avoid it?

Xtra question: is it possible that the problems are in any way related to
the kernel itself (if you take in account the other problems i've mentioned
)

-T@W