Subject: Re: SONIC woes in Q800
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Giovannini <matias@k-bell.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/26/1999 15:36:14
Colin Wood wrote:

> [Mat_as] Giovannini wrote:
> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with NetBSD on my Quadra 800. After running for
> > a while (approx. one day), I see the following error
> >
> >         sn0: receive buffer area exhausted
> >
> > and the network dies. I'd like to know if there's a fix for it,
> > since I'm running a nameserver.
>
> i'm not sure what's causing this...are you on a busy ethernet?

Pretty much so. I don't see the connection.

> > The installed version is NetBSD 1.3.3 release of 19981217 (kernel
> > named "(GENERIC) #0 12/17/98".
> >
> > I've tried a couple of -current kernels, but they won't boot on the Q800.
>
> where do they die?  it's fairly important that we get this fixed, as the
> 1.4 branch is very soon...`1

It boots single-user, but when going multi-user dies on init.
Here's a hand-made transcript ([...] signals deletia):

[...]
NetBSD 1.3K (GENERIC) #101: Tue Mar  2 23:08:08   PST 1999
  root2@c610: /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Quadra 800   (68040)
[...]
iwm: Initialization FAILED (-77)
[...]
setting tty flags
panic: pool_get: ncachepl: page empty
stopped in [ at _Debugger+0x6: unlk    a6
db> trace
_Debugger(...) + 6
_panic(...) + 52
_pool_get(...) + 114
_cache_enter(...) + 48
_ufs_lookup(...) + a8c
_lookup(...) + 21c
_namei(...) + 2e2
_sys___stat13(...) + 2a
_syscall(...) + 14c
_trap0() + e
db> continue
[...]
kernel: MMU fault trap
trap during panic!
[...]
panic: MMU fault

If there's a newer kernel for download, I can try it too.