Subject: Re: ADB probe hangs
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1999 20:53:30
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Colin Wood wrote:

> Dave Huang wrote:
> >
> > I'm still having this problem :( A March 2 kernel worked, but both a
> > March 10-ish one and today's (March 24) hang at "adb0 at obio0"
>
> i think that this is actually a separate problem.  i bet it's only on your
> 660av (you do have one, right?)  i'm seeing it on my 840av, but not on any
> other machine.  the workaround for now is to switch to MRG-based ADB.  i'm
> not too sure what's going on there...unfortunately, the debugger is pretty
> much useless at this point, so i can't get a stack trace and figure out
> where we are hanging.  i can get into the debugger, tho, so i assume that
> we're not actually hung at splhigh().  maybe we're infinitely looping
> somewhere.  unfortunately, i only remember 1 ADB change recently, and it
> was on march 18th :-(  ok, there was a change to pm_direct.c on march 5th,
> but i'm pretty sure that doesn't affect the av mac's, right?

On my 840AV, most of the kernels hang exactly half of the time.
Repeated results, with the same kernel, closely resemble a coin toss
experiment. I just reboot repeatedly until it takes. I've only tried
one of those kernels on the 630, but it hung on the adb probe every
time. This random thing is especially maddening, as it's easy to
imagine that something you did made it work. I was telling Colin
earlier that turning the ethernet hub off would let it boot!

Without any extensive testing since the Scott Reynold's March 18
change, it appears to be roughly as before: sometimes boots, sometimes
hangs.