Subject: Re: Panic!Need Xtra /usr partition:how2?
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1999 11:27:12
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, T@W wrote:

> On the internal HD of 250Mb(scsi0) i've a root/usr partition.
> My SWAP is on a ZIP100(scsi6).
> I've also an external HD of 4Gb(scsi2), which has various MacHFS partitions
> in use.
> On this disk i want to place an xtra /usr partition so i made one and
> formatted it as a /usr part.
> 1)When i do this i get the following:
>
> formatting.....
> Warning: inode blocks/cyl group (169) >= data blocks (24) in last
>     cylinder group. This implies 388 sector(s) cannot be allocated.
> disk:   680960 sectors in 448 cylinders of 10 tracks, 152 sectors
>     348.7MB in 28 cyl groups (16 c/g, 12.45MB/g, 2880 i/g)
>
> Is this inode message bad??

No, it's just saying that the way ffs lays things out on the disk resulted
in unusable space. The last cylinder group wasn't big enough to hold the
inodes for that group. You lost 196k over the deal.

> 2)it does the format and in the installer it sees the made partition.

****** DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! *********

Do NOT use the installer on partitions made with newfs. Around version 1.0
NetBSD moved to an updated ffs version, but the installer was never
updated. So it does NOT understand the new-style fs.

You want to use newfs -O to generate the correct fs.

Or leave the /usr you have, and mount the new fs somewhere else. Like /y1.
Then make symlinks from your tree there. Like have /usr/local or /usr/pkg
be symlinks into /y1. Then you can install w/o problem and still get extra
space.

I assume you have a /usr in your root partition, don't you? You do realize
that if you had mounted this other partition over /usr you wouldn't be
able to delete your old /usr directory contents to be able to free up the
space, don't you? :-)

> i go through all the proper steps and want to boot.
> It boots, panics and goes straight into the db with an MMUfault message
> and points to the address a6.
> What is wrong? (even when i configured the etc/fstab)
>
> Who can give me clue 'cause i need my space
>
> Thanks!!
>
> BTW without the xtra /usr everything boots and runs. Problems arise only
> with the xtra.

Sounds like it's the level of the fs (not old-style).

Take care,

Bill