Subject: Re: dial-up-questions
To: Tsuchiya,Yukikazu <tutiya03@tky2.3web.ne.jp>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1999 11:14:52
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Tsuchiya,Yukikazu wrote:
>
> > 1)Which is better, crtscts or cdtrcts in /etc/ppp/options file?
>
> cdtrcts works well, as long as you have a "Mac hardware handshaking"
> cable (one that ties rts to dtr), and you use "&D0" in the setup
> string.

Right. Normally dropping (de-asserting) DTR causes the modem to hang up.
Adding "&D0" will tell the modem to not hang up when DTR is dropped,
permitting you to use the DTR output for flow control.

> > 3)how do I wrote on line tty00 in my /etc/ttys file.
> > I wrote-- tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  dialup
> > and
> > Which is "38400", the speed between local PC and local modem or the speed
> > between local modem and remote modem?

As was said before, 38400 is the computer to modem speed.

> > and
> > I can connect with
> > tty00 ------ ether dialup or unknown ------ ether off or "none"
> > Which combination is better?

man ttys indicates that "on" and "off" indicate whether or not init should
run a process for that tty (the respective process is the item in the
second column of the file, usually a getty process). "dialup" and
"unknown" are different terminal types, typical for a dial in connection
as the system doesn't know what type of terminal's on the other side until
after it dials in.

"none" is used on the pseudo-tty lines, and is in the second colum, not
the fourth. So "either off or 'none'" doesn't make sense. "none" is used
to inciate that the pseudo-tty lines have no getty-type process to run on
them. And that no process makes sense.

When you telnet or ssh to a computer, the telnetd or sshd process attaches
to a pty (say ptyp2), and fires a shell up on the corresponding tty (ttyp2
for this example). Thus it doesn't make sense for a process to have
already attached to the pseudo-tty's waiting for a connection.

> > 4)What is distinction?
> > dial-up modem and dial-in modem and dial-out modem

dial-up refers to a type of connection, not a modem. A "dial up"
connection involves one component (a modem) dialing another system to get
network connectivity. dial-in and dial-out modems are for in-coming and
out-going connecionts - i.e. someone dials in (dials you) on a dial-in
connection, and you dial out (dial someone else - your ISP) on a dial-out
connection.

> > 5)Booter Options-Serial ports-Default Serial Speed setting is required for
> > dial-up?

No, the default speed is needed for serail console and for serial echo. It
is a convenience for modem use, but not needed.

> > Which is this speed, the speed between local PC and local modem or the
> > speed between local modem and remote modem?
>
> None of that matters, unless you're allowing people to dial your
> number to login to your computer (="dial-in"). Just to "dial-out"
> (=you dial your isp), pppd handles setting up the line all by itself,
> using it's own options. Does that answer the question?
>
> > 6)While connecting I often see
> > zstty0: x silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
> > Why?
> > do I have to recompile kernel
> > options "SERIBUF_SIZE=4096"
> > options "SEROBUF_SIZE=32"

Where did you get these?

> > not to see this problem?
>
> I haven't tried that. "options ZSTTY_RING_SIZE=4096" used to work for
> me until very recently. (I'm running current.) With that, I was able
> to set the speed to 57600 with nary a silo overflow on either Quadra,
> the 630 or the 840AV. Something changed with current a couple of weeks
> ago, and now I get them all the time. Experimenting with different
> values for ZSTTY_RING_SIZE hasn't helped, and lowering the speed to
> 38400, which used to be adequate, doesn't do it, either. :(

When did this start? ZSTTY_RING_SIZE really works for getting rid of
floods, but it doesn't do much about silo overflows. Those come from
something sitting at splhigh for too long.
> > 8)do anyone have terminal for MacBSD which be able to use AT commnads in
> > order to communicat modem?
>
> I am fond of "cu," which is just adequate for the purpose. If you have
> the sources, there's a commented sample /etc/uucp/port in
> /usr/src/gnu/libexec/uucp/sample/port. It is also possible to download
> just that one file from ftp.netbsd.org. Or try this:

We have a tip-running-as-cu in the tree.

> Save the following in /etc/uucp/port
>
> type modem
> port modem
> device /dev/tty00
> speed 38400
>
> now su root, and then ``cu -p modem'' lets you type AT commands and
> see the modem responses. Type ``~'', wait for the ``[]'' prompt, and
> then type a single period, ``.'', to exit cu.
>
> You also have "tip", in the main tree, and some comm programs,
> including "kermit", available as packages.

The main thing you have to do is tell the program that it shouldn't wait
for carrier detect to be asserted before talking to the modem. For tip,
you want the "dc" attribute in /etc/remotes.

Take care,

Bill