Subject: Re: dial-up-questions
To: Tsuchiya,Yukikazu <tutiya03@tky2.3web.ne.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1999 12:04:55
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Tsuchiya,Yukikazu wrote:

> 1)Which is better, crtscts or cdtrcts in /etc/ppp/options file?

cdtrcts works well, as long as you have a "Mac hardware handshaking"
cable (one that ties rts to dtr), and you use "&D0" in the setup
string.

> 2)Which is "38400", the speed between local PC and local modem or the speed
> between local modem and remote modem
> on /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty00 38400 connect
> in /etc/ppp/ppp-up file(my dial-up script file name)?

That would be the former, aka DTE speed. You don't usually set the DCE
speed, but instead let the modem and server negotiate the best speed.

> 3)how do I wrote on line tty00 in my /etc/ttys file.
> I wrote-- tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  dialup
> and
> Which is "38400", the speed between local PC and local modem or the speed
> between local modem and remote modem?
>
> and
> I can connect with
> tty00 ------ ether dialup or unknown ------ ether off or "none"
> Which combination is better?
>
> 4)What is distinction?
> dial-up modem and dial-in modem and dial-out modem
>
> 5)Booter Options-Serial ports-Default Serial Speed setting is required for
> dial-up?
> Which is this speed, the speed between local PC and local modem or the
> speed between local modem and remote modem?

None of that matters, unless you're allowing people to dial your
number to login to your computer (="dial-in"). Just to "dial-out"
(=you dial your isp), pppd handles setting up the line all by itself,
using it's own options. Does that answer the question?

> 6)While connecting I often see
> zstty0: x silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
> Why?
> do I have to recompile kernel
> options "SERIBUF_SIZE=4096"
> options "SEROBUF_SIZE=32"
> not to see this problem?

I haven't tried that. "options ZSTTY_RING_SIZE=4096" used to work for
me until very recently. (I'm running current.) With that, I was able
to set the speed to 57600 with nary a silo overflow on either Quadra,
the 630 or the 840AV. Something changed with current a couple of weeks
ago, and now I get them all the time. Experimenting with different
values for ZSTTY_RING_SIZE hasn't helped, and lowering the speed to
38400, which used to be adequate, doesn't do it, either. :(

> according to
> http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/NetBSD/NWF/nwf_68.html#SEC68
>
> 7)I wrote  "kdebug 1" in my /etc/options file.
> so,
> While connecting I often see
> ppp0: bad fcs 7c6a
> ppp0: bad protocol 820
> what this means?

Nothing much to me. :) Possibly, the server is asking if you want to
use NT compression or something, and NetBSD says "nope, never heard of
it." It's not a problem as long as you eventually connect.

> 8)do anyone have terminal for MacBSD which be able to use AT commnads in
> order to communicat modem?

I am fond of "cu," which is just adequate for the purpose. If you have
the sources, there's a commented sample /etc/uucp/port in
/usr/src/gnu/libexec/uucp/sample/port. It is also possible to download
just that one file from ftp.netbsd.org. Or try this:

Save the following in /etc/uucp/port

type modem
port modem
device /dev/tty00
speed 38400

now su root, and then ``cu -p modem'' lets you type AT commands and
see the modem responses. Type ``~'', wait for the ``[]'' prompt, and
then type a single period, ``.'', to exit cu.

You also have "tip", in the main tree, and some comm programs,
including "kermit", available as packages.