Subject: Re: Panic!Need Xtra /usr partition:how2?
To: None <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1999 17:05:52
T@W wrote:

> On the internal HD of 250Mb(scsi0) i've a root/usr partition.
> My SWAP is on a ZIP100(scsi6).
> I've also an external HD of 4Gb(scsi2), which has various MacHFS partitions
> in use.
> On this disk i want to place an xtra /usr partition so i made one and
> formatted it as a /usr part.
> 1)When i do this i get the following:
>
> formatting.....
> Warning: inode blocks/cyl group (169) >= data blocks (24) in last
>     cylinder group. This implies 388 sector(s) cannot be allocated.
> disk:   680960 sectors in 448 cylinders of 10 tracks, 152 sectors
>     348.7MB in 28 cyl groups (16 c/g, 12.45MB/g, 2880 i/g)
>
> Is this inode message bad??

not necessarily.  it just means that you could have picked a better size
that didn't waste the last few sectors, i believe.

> 2)it does the format and in the installer it sees the made partition.
> i go through all the proper steps and want to boot.
> It boots, panics and goes straight into the db with an MMUfault message
> and points to the address a6.
> What is wrong? (even when i configured the etc/fstab)
>
> Who can give me clue 'cause i need my space

what version of netbsd are you using?  where on the 4GB disk is the new
/usr partition?  in general, netbsd performs better when the partitions
are as close as possible to the front of the disk....

later.

colin