Subject: network newbie question - arghh!
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Conrad Rehill <rehillc@surfree.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1999 05:08:29
Sorry for a question which I figure has probably been posted a zillion
times, but... I cannot get my network connection up and running and NEED
HELP !!!

Firstly my system: Quadra 650, ThinNet adapter into the built-in
ethernet port, and an NEC NuBus video card; NetBSD 1.3 installed and
boots fine.  Hostname is set to "q650" in etc/hosts and related /etc
files.

Nextly, I followed a couple of the howto's currently found on the NetBSD
web page exactly.  I set up the hosts, rc.conf, resolv.conf,
ifconfig.sn0, and other files exactly as directed.

Based on the documentation, I should be ready to just reboot and start
ping'ing away, but no luck.  Upon trying to three other local machines
(one linux box, one NT box, and a W98 box, which can all see each
other), I get the following message:

ping: send to: host down
ping: send to: host down
March 21 20:48:00 q650 /netbsd: sn0: TX-lost interrupt
March 21 20:48:00 q650 /netbsd: sn0: TX-lost interrupt
ping: send to: host down

I just can't figure this one out.  Is this familiar to anyone ? Am I
just being dumb ?  Help !

Thanks,
Conrad Rehill
rehillc@surfree.com