Subject: Re: MacOS, NetBSD, and IP-NAT
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Andy Finnell <andyf@vei.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1999 22:22:30
On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Bob Nestor wrote:
>Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp> wrote:=0D
>=0D
>>On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:53:35 -0500 (EST), Andy Finnell wrote:=0D
>>> I've gotten IP-NAT to work on NetBSD, and can get MkLinux to connect =
to it=0D
>>> with a PPP connection.  How do I get the MacOS to do the same?  I've=0D
>>> gotten OT/PPP to connect, but I can't make it anywhere.  What do I ne=
ed to=0D
>>> do?  Thanks,=0D
>>=0D
>>There's simply not enough information to help you.  What is your=0D
>>network topology?  How did you configure your boxes?  And so on.=0D
>=0D
>I believe MacOS needs a way of resolving addresses, either with the =0D
>"hosts" file or by running a local DNS which is what I do on my NetBSD =0D
>system.  Given that Andy's e-mail address appears to be bogus (my =0D
>response to him bounced), I'll bet he has a few missing pieces in his =0D
>network configuration.  ;-)=0D

Sorry for not providing more info.  My NetBSD box dials up to my IPS via =
modem.=20
I have a PowerMac running MkLinux/MacOS that is connected to my NetBSD bo=
x via a
serial (printer) cable.  Under MkLinux I connect using PPP.  Anything els=
e you
need to know?  Also what pieces might I be missing?  I've looked through =
your
FAQ, Bob.  I *thought* I got everything, but I guess not.  I didn't see a=
nything
about setting up a local DNS in there.  Did I miss it?

And yes, that email address was probably bogus.  My real address is
andyf@vei.net.  I sent the original email from the command line on my Net=
BSD
box..  Thanks,

=09-andy