Subject: Re: pthread library query
To: None <andyf@vei.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1999 11:36:31
On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:20:14 -0500, Andy Finnell wrote:
> The first port you refer to is the MIT Pthreads package.  It has
> some preliminary 68k support, but its not aimed at the mac68k.  You
> can look at the configure script and see that they are starting to
> add 68k support, or they thought they were going to add it.  However
> if you look in mach_dep directory, you'll notice only one of the
> needed support files is there for NetBSD/68k.

Hm, what's wrong with that?  If it really runs on NetBSD/m68k, it
should (well, I'm very tempted to use "must" here) run on mac68k, too.
NetBSD maintains a very high level of interoperability between
different ports (esp. of a same processor type, e.g. m68k), and I
can think of nothing that makes a thread library dependent on any
particular `machine' (as opposed to `processor architecture').

> Also I have a senior thesis coming up, and I was thinking about
> porting the MIT pthreads package to NetBSD/mac68k.  Unfortunately I
> don't know any 68k assembly.  Can anyone point me to some good
> tutorials?  Thanks,

Get the downloadable M68000 Programmer's Reference Manual PDF from
Motorola Web site.  Can't remember the exact URL off hand, though.
However, NetBSD uses the MIT assembly syntax which differs from the
Motorola syntax but it's not that hard to substitute mentally one for
the other.  Gas info file can be of great help when learning the MIT
syntax, too.

Ken