Subject: Re: pthread library query
To: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
From: Andy Finnell <andyf@vei.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/20/1999 11:20:14
Roger Brown wrote:

> Does anybody know of a pthread library that works on mac68k-netbsd 1.3.3?
>
> I've tried to build the one from
>
>     ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/pthreads/pthreads-1_60_beta6.tar.gz
>
> but this is not happy about 'mac68k-unknown-netbsd1.3.3', does not look like
> any 68k ports are in the build.
>
> I have also tried the PTL2 one,
>
>     ftp://ftp.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/pub/PTL/PTL2/PTL2-current-990319.tar.gz
>
> however this fails during the 'configure' during some 'sed' expansions and
> hence leaves the generated
> 'Makefile's as empty.
>
> Are there any other packages that are known to work?
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Brown

I asked this question earlier, but I got no response.  I can only tell you what
I found out by experience.  First, no, there doesn't seem to be
a pthreads library that will work under NetBSD/mac68k.  The first port you
refer to is the MIT Pthreads package.  It has some preliminary 68k
support, but its not aimed at the mac68k.  You can look at the configure script
and see that they are starting to add 68k support, or they thought
they were going to add it.  However if you look in mach_dep directory, you'll
notice only one of the needed support files is there for NetBSD/68k.

The second one you refer to, I've never tried.  Guess I'll have to go do that.
<g>

If anyone knows about kernel support for threads I would be interested in
that.  The current kernel doesn't seem to know anything about threads.
User-level threads are fine (if we ever get that), but I would like to have a
pthreads package that's kernel-level.  You know, full preemption, the good
stuff.  Is there any plan if making the NetBSD kernel multithreaded?

Also I have a senior thesis coming up, and I was thinking about porting the MIT
pthreads package to NetBSD/mac68k.  Unfortunately I don't know any 68k
assembly.  Can anyone point me to some good tutorials?  Thanks,

        -andy