Subject: Re: Color X
To: None <IZY01245@nifty.ne.jp>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/1999 14:54:02
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:21:52 +0900, 藤分 亨 wrote:
>    1) Does the 1.3.3 kernel (kern.tgz) support color video?

No, not in the sense the kernel's driver supports video hardware
directly.  However, it should be able to boot in 16-bit color depth
mode thus allowing X OSFA server to run in 16-bit TrueColor mode.

>    2) Can I install Xmac68k_color.tar.gz like kern.tgz (with the
>    installer)? Or is it have to be transferred directly to a NetBSD
>    partition? Or else?

You cannot use Installer.  You should ftp the file over to your NetBSD
directly using NetBSD ftp client.  That's the easiest and the README
assumes you do that.

>    3) Does Xmac68k_color.tar.gz correspond only to xserver.tgz, that
>    is, do I need xbase.tgz xcomp.tgz x contrib.tgz and xfont.tgz in
>    addition to use X?

Yes.

Having said that, I suggest you take a look at the current issue of
Software Design magazine on which my article on NetBSD package system
and X OSFA server appears.  My article on the previous issue dealt
with installation of NetBSD/mac68k.

Ken