Subject: Re: Color X
To: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCRiNKLCEhNXwbKEI=?= <IZY01245@nifty.ne.jp>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1999 21:38:00
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, [ISO-2022-JP] 藤分 亨 wrote:

>    I have a few questions on this part.
>
>    1) Does the 1.3.3 kernel (kern.tgz) support color video?

Depends on what you mean by support.  NetBSD/Mac68K has, for a long
time, been able to run in multiple pixel depths, up to and including 32
bits.  But there is not yet any support for being able to change bit
depth on the fly, nor is there any support for manipulating the color
palette.

But there are alternatives.  See http://www.whooppee.com/slotman/ for
details.

>    2) Can I install Xmac68k_color.tar.gz like kern.tgz (with the installer)?
>       Or is it have to be transferred directly to a NetBSD partition?Or else?

You do not install this with the installer.  After you have NetBSD up
and running, you just download this file, and then cd to / and untar the
file with ``tar xzvf Xmac68k_color.tar.gz''

>    3) Does Xmac68k_color.tar.gz correspond only to xserver.tgz, that is,
>       do I need xbase.tgz xcomp.tgz x contrib.tgz and xfont.tgz in
>       addition to use X?

Yes, you also need to get the rest of the X files.

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |