Subject: Re: Current-031599 on PB540C
To: Paul T. Root <proot@horton.iaces.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1999 22:14:43
At 18:30 Uhr +0100 18.03.1999, Paul T. Root wrote:

>I have a 540c with 20 meg RAM, 810meg drive (IBM DVAS-2810 out of a
>SPARCbook).
>
>The drive might be a little suspect. There is no termination on the drive,
>so I have a SyQuest EZ 135 plugged into it (with or without cartridge doesn't
>matter).
>
>The only errors I see are:
>iwm: Initialization FAILED (-77)

Interesting.  ;)

>probe(ncrscsi0:0:0): Unknown message 19. Rejecting.
>probe(ncrscsi0:0:0): Unknown message f. Rejecting.
>

>Is this more likely the disk not cooperating or the FPU emulation
>problem? I can probably put the 330meg drive back in and install
>on the SyQuest, for proof of concept. Any gotcha's there?

Remembering my pains from trying a non-terminated 500M Toshiba drive in a
Duo 280, I'd strongly suspect the disk. With the Syquest, you are
terminating the wrong end of the bus - the end with the controller and the
disk remains open.

I'd backup the old drive and try that, if I were you.

Good luck,

	hauke