Subject: Re: Printing
To: NetBSD <NetBSD@bvjtoday.co.jp>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1999 10:04:06
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, NetBSD wrote:

> 	I just got a Farallon iPrint Adapter which converts Ethernet to
> Localtalk. It works great from my MacOS computer.
>

> Question is: is it possible to get the NetBSD Box to print files to
> this printer? Does it need a printer driver? if printing is possible,
> could you give me an example of the command line to print a file named
> anytextfile

You need two things: the netatalk package, and the enscript package. They
are both in the package system.

Netatalk will let a NetBSD box talk to an Appletalk printer. Look at the
info on pap, the program which will do this.

If you want to print a text file, you also need enscript. Postscript
printers only print postscript, which your text file isn't. :-)

I have a shell script called "lp2" which uses enscript to print text files
two to a page:

> cat bin/lp2
#! /bin/sh
enscript -2rG $*