Subject: Apple goes Open Source
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1999 10:18:28
I've been doing more lurking than participating lately... so I'll post
something interesting that I just became aware of.

Many of you have probably heard of MacOS X -- Apple's 'modern' OS, which is
based to whatever extents upon a Mach microkernel and 4.4 BSD.

I got the following from a MacWeek mailing list yesterday--

>APPLE OPENS OS X SERVER
>In an effort to capture some of the recent open-source momentum, Apple
>has become the first mainstream computer company to open up the core
>of its operating system.
>(http://macweek.zdnet.com/1999/03/14/opensource.html)

And there's a link to the sources from the story.  I think it was
http://www.publicsource.apple.com/

And there is quite a bit of stuff there..some Xlibraries, hfs, kernel, etc.

Now I realize that OS X was designed to run on G3's, and apple hasn't made
any guarantee of backwards compatibility -- there probably isn't mush there
that relates to 68k hardware...although I'd imagine that there's probably
at least something useful in the bunch.  Unfortunately, the only language I
code proficiently at the moment is Java, so I'm not wholly certain either
way.

Anyway, it's there if anyone's interested.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu