Subject: Re: X problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/16/1999 20:26:25
>I've done a clean install of all the binary packages.
>
>I tried typing startx in single user mode, and it said "command not found".
>
>I edited rc.conf to boot in multi-user mode, and typing startx still gets
>me the same message.
>
>Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Yes, you need to rebuild your desktop database.

<sorry, Mac humor there>

Colin was correct, you should start reading the FAQ. As a quickie into that
problem, you need to tell Unix (and DOS if you're into that) where to find
the commands you're giving it. That's in case say, everyone compiles a
program called "hello_world" for instance....but Joe's version is set to
"rm -Rf *". You wouldn't want everyone who types that command to suddenly
lose everything. This is also kinda why you shouldn't have "." in your
path. If you had "." searched before the other directories, then someone
could make something called "ls" and put it somewhere normal. Then when
someone goes into that directory & does an ls, instead of seeing the files,
they'd be executing whatever the heck the programmer wanted...say...mail
/etc/master.passwd to any account they choose.

(you should read the ENTIRE FAQ, but here's the relevant part (actually it
asks the EXACT question:
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-9.html#ss9.2 )

HTH
Mike