Subject: Re: Resend: LC040/LC475 Bootproblems ?
To: None <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/1999 23:03:08
T@W wrote:
> Dear people,
>
> My sincerest apo's for the earlier messy mail.
> I better resend it proper so here it is again:
> >As somebody who really wants to learn UNIX i mail  to the mailinggroup
> >with the following problem(s):
> >
> >I installed the whole 1.3.3 set for mac68k.
> >1)e'thing on 1 hard disk (250Mb) on SCSI 0 properly partioned.
> >Boots fine. Can vi. But afterwards it gives some faultmessages (about
> >coredump especially).
> >But at least it comes up and as far as my system allows me i can do some
> >(probably) basic tasks.

this is most likely due to having an 'LC040 instead of a full '040.  there
is a problem with the FP emulation which usually shows up as seg faults, i
believe.

> >2)because of the lack of MB on the 250HD i wanted to use another harddisk
> >on SCSI2 to carry or the root or the usr partition. Fstabbed and mounted
> >it.
> >Then i boot.
> >Here major problems arise: i have to let the booter ask for the
> >alternative usrpartition.

huh?  when is this?  the booter application should be set to boot off of
the proper SCSI id.  it'll find the root partition by itself...

> The boot continues and then hangs. Then it goes
> >into debug or i have to force it into debug so i can reboot.
> >(adressmessage is something like a4e1f4. If this is really important i
> >could reproduce it again when you need it)

sounds like you need to fix your /etc/fstab.  you should boot off of your
root partition.  the /usr partition or any others will be mounted later as
you go into single-user mode...

> >3)using a ZIP100 removable for SWAP gives more problems.
> >The only way i can make the booter find the swap is again by letting it
> >ask for it.
> >But it keeps saying sd0a dumps on sd0b, although it recognizes the ZIP as
> >swap.

i believe that /etc/fstab controls this as well.

> >I have the strong impression that 2) and 3) are related to the same
> >problem and i have the feeling that it has to do with the kernel.
> >-What to do to be able to use other HD partitions?
> >-What is possible on the LC475 (25Mhz) or maybe better to say what is not
> >possible. (I have Software FPU). Is it worth it to invest time in
> >installing and learning UNIX on THIS machine?

it all depends on how willing you are to live with the frequent seg
faults.  if you don't mind them too much, then it'll be fine.  if you
don't like them, well, then you've got a problem.  of course, you can try
to find a full '040 and upgrade your processor as well.

i hope this helps some.

later.

colin