Subject: Re: ISDN?...anyone...anyone
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1999 21:05:19
>OK, this is my first post to this list so please bear with me.  I have
>searched through the mailing list archives (very painful...no search engine)
>and FAQ's with no luck.
>
>Here's the question:
>
>Can a Mac IIci /20meg RAM using a 3com ImpactIQ ISDN modem support serial
>speeds of 115200?  If so, what do I need to do to make it happen.  Whenever
>I tell pppd to use 115200 for the speed, it reports:
>
>Mar 14 13:40:19 macbsd pppd[191]: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
>
>Setting pppd to 57600 doesn't give the error message, but is useless for
>dual channel bonding.  What gives?  Am I asking too much.  It would seem
>that 115200 shouldn't be out of range as LocalTalk on the MacOS side runs at
>double that speed.

LocalTalk does run at double that speed, and the RAW serial ports are
capable of dealing with 230kbps speeds...BUT, in order to achieve those
speeds, you would need to use an external clock. The connectix QuickCam is
an example of this I believe. It actually provides a clock for the serial
port in order to get higher throughput to the serial port. To my knowlege,
the only Macs that can go higher than 57600 w/o external clocking are the
geoport-equipped ones, such as the AV Macs.

Sorry for the bad news,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.