Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1999 15:35:08
Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:27:32 -0600
>  "Scott Reynolds" <scottr@og.org> wrote:
>
>  > At the moment, yes, there is a change that is necessary.  If the X server
>  > and dt use the native wscons interface, they work fine.  I'm now working out
>  > grf compatibility, which presents a special challenge in that wscons screen
>  > devices can't be mmap()'ed if a tty emulation is enabled on the device.
>  > This isn't a problem with the ite because both X and dt bypass it and go
>  > directly to the grf device.
>
> Don't you pretty much have no use for dt now, since wscons has virtual
> terminal support?

dt still has some nice features that wscons doesn't have, namely
cut'n'paste (yes, i know you can just use X for this, but that's a lot of
overhead compared to the couple hundred kb of dt :-)  it's also possible
that dt is faster, but i suppose that depends on how scott implements the
output side.  jonathan's persistent comments on wscon's slowness on mips
makes me wonder just how fast wscons is...

-colin