Subject: Re: Slow FTP performance with ASCII files?
To: None <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1999 10:25:59
On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:47:43 -0600 (CST), Joe Laffey wrote:
> I have been experiencing slow ftp performance with ASCII files (text
> mode). This has occured with wu-ftpd beta 18 and the release 2.4.2. HQX
> files seem to go out at about 40K/sec over my 10BT LAN (Q700 built-in
> ethernet switched hub). MacBinary files on the other hand go at 240K/sec.
> This with the same file. I tested via Anarchie on a Mac and linux ftp
> client (linuxPPC).
>
> Is the linefeed conversion done on server side? Binary mode transfers are
> so much faster...

The end-of-line conversion is done at the both ends.  That is, the
sender converts from its local representation (in this case 0x0a) into
network representation (0x0d followed by 0x0a), and the receiver
converts from network representation into its local representation
(0x0d for Mac, 0x0a for Unices, no conversion for DOS etc).

But I find the 6-fold difference very surprising...

Ken