Subject: Re: using NIS
To: mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu, Mark Francis <mjf@lavalink.com.au>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1999 22:55:08
On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 11:20:17PM -0500, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Mark Francis wrote:
>
> > How do I now get NetBSD to pay attention to NIS maps for things like
> > the passwd, group and hosts files? Can't seem to find an
> > nsswitch.conf file.
>
> I don't think NetBSD uses nsswitch.conf (corrections please if I'm wrong).

  In -current, Luke Mewburn has added support for nsswitch.conf
-- "man nsswitch.conf" pulls up some docs.  If the file doesn't
exist, the behavior is what we're used to.  If it does exist, you
can do all sorts of cool things (shells via NIS instead of
adding tcsh and bash to every machine's /etc/shells, for
example).

  Brian