Subject: Re: OSFA X server no longer works for me
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1999 09:15:27
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:15:37 -0800 (PST), Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Dave Huang wrote:
>
> > The OSFA server hasn't been working for a while, actually... at least 5
> > months, I'd say... I've got a Centris 660av, video mode set to 800x600,
> > thousands of colors. When I start the server, I get:
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: symbol __sys_errlist at 0x8232cf4 in /usr/lib/libc.so.12.39 changed size: expected 332, actual 320
>
> Your libc is more up to date than the one the program was compiled with,
> and one of the changes was a change to the size of the system error list.
> :-(
>
> I'm not sure if this explains all the problems....

Not all.  Some.  There's a bug in diagnostic code which used to cause
no problem but now causes this segfault (dang).  I've been told that
you can drop in my source tar in xsrc/xc/programs/X, comment out the
offending code, and rebuild X server, and it'll work.

Around line 430 of macColorScreens.c:

#ifdef DEBUG
    {
        char *visualStr[] = {
            "StaticGray", "GrayScale", "StaticColor",
            "PseudoColor", "TrueColor", "DirectColor",
        };
        VisualID vid = screen->rootVisual;
        VisualPtr visual = screen->visuals;

        ErrorF("rootVisual = %d (%s)\n", vid, visualStr[vid]);

What you have to do is to change "#ifdef DEBUG" to "#ifdef 0" or
something to disable this block of code.

Hope this helps,

Ken